Wednesday 12 November 2008

Wrapping up the Internship of a Lifetime - Closing out week 4

From Wednesday to Friday, Tom and I had one assignment left on our plates at BMS. Our powerpoint presentation. Our new employees to shadow were the two members of the BMS Marketing Department. They overviewed our powerpoint slides and worked with us to perfect our oral presentation skills in the BMS corporate boardroom (awesome view of London - made me feel like a rockstar looking out the window). Our topic for presentation could be anything. Tom chose to present what he had learned at BMS as his topic, I chose to explain the Marketing aspects of the Lloyds Broking Market. Needless to say in comparison to Tom, I certainly had my work cut out for me.

On Friday, Tom and I gave our presentations to several of the people we had shadowed over the course of the month as well as a few members from HR. I highlighted marketing in Lloyd's by reviewing current employees that were brokers with Marketing backgrounds, comparing the Lloyd's marketing to the 4 Ps, and breaking down the channels and relationships that a Lloyd's broker typicaly engages in. My main focus was to explain how the London Financial District is the biggest social network of insurnace and thus requires marketing at its very core since building personal relationships generates business long term.

We ended our last day early with a long round of goodbyes and ate our last lunch with James Adley, our mentor's partner, since our mentor was on holiday. James and others hoped to see us again one day and upon turning in our security passes to the front desk and leaving One America Square we took the bus back to the flat and ended what had been one of the most intense fun learning experiences in my life.

No comments: